Decluttering can be good for you

It took me a while to learn that.
͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­
 
Healthline
 
 
Wellness Wire
 
 
In a Nutshell
I'm a child of parents who like things — and holding onto them —– so naturally, I grew up clinging to items, too. Over the last few years though, I've been leaning into the practice of letting go of my belongings.
Before my last move, I gave away maybe 30% of my stuff. I was able to fit everything in a smaller U-Haul, and friends or strangers scored things they wanted or needed for free. Win-win!
It took time to get to this point, but I can confidently say that it feels good to downsize and soften the grip on material objects. And as it turns out, there may be real health benefits to decluttering. Learn how to go about it below.
Ways to level up your next walk with weights
11 best ways to naturally improve your digestion
Signs and symptoms of too much stress
Be well,
Morgan Mandriota
Newsletter Editor, Healthline
 
 
  Written by Morgan Mandriota
May 15, 2024 • 3 min read
 
 
 
Lighten your load. It can be freeing
what's got us buzzing
Lighten your load. It can be freeing
Like most other rooms in my parents' house, my childhood bedroom was packed. Furniture lined the perimeters, and there wasn't a spot on the wall left uncovered by drawings, posters, or pages ripped out from my favorite magazines. Being surrounded by things was all I ever knew.️
Over time, things changed. Moving almost 20 times in 10 years meant I had to decide (over and over again) what I wanted to keep or chuck. I eventually realized that lighter moves were less stressful moves, and I could get rid of things I hadn't used in a while to benefit someone else more than me. If I need it again in the future, I can buy it (instead of clinging to it for dear life in hopes that someday it'll serve a purpose).️
What's my downsizing strategy? More expensive items that I use less often, like my blender or air conditioner, stay. And I still cling to sentimental things of all sizes. But I can easily part ways with extras, like spare curtains, glasses, and plates that take up more storage space than I'd like. I donate any clothes that I haven't worn in over a year, too. I also recall Marie Kondo asking if an item sparks joy, and if it doesn't, I let it go.️
My unsolicited and unprofessional advice: Consider getting rid of some things! Let's call it spring cleaning. The state of your home can affect your health in a number of ways, including your stress levels, and decluttering is linked with a sense of accomplishment and being in control. ️
Not sure where to give stuff away? Consider these options: ️
  • Goodwill
  • Salvation Army
  • Habitat for Humanity
  • Facebook buy and sell groups
  • thrift stores
  • friends
  • family
  • neighbors
I definitely still like having stuff, even random tchotchkes, but not to the same extent as when I was a kid. Now I know that letting go of even just one thing can feel a lot better than hanging on. For me, it's like clearing physical and mental space. Maybe it'll do the same for you. ️
signs of hoarding OCD
 
 
 
Great finds
You "knead" this
 
 
 
Baguette-Shaped Keyboard Wrist Pad
Baguette-Shaped Keyboard Wrist Pad
One thing I can't let go of: This baguette-shaped memory foam wrist pad. My friend sent it to me as a silly gift 2 years ago, but she had no idea how much I'd actually love it. It's been on my desk supporting my wrists while I work ever since, and I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.
SHOP NOW
Every product we recommend has gone through either Healthline's or Optum Store's vetting processes. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Healthline has sole editorial control over this newsletter. Potential uses for the products listed here are not health claims made by the manufacturers. Healthline and Optum Store are owned by RVO Health.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
health stories you need
What we're reading next
💤 The best sleep position for your heart health. How you sleep can affect your well-being.
🌱 5 surprising natural pain relievers. Plus, which types of pain they can relieve.
👟 How many steps do you *really* need per day? Hint: It may not be 10,000 …
🥜 Symptoms of nut allergies to look out for. Learn the signs of mild to severe reactions and which nuts to avoid if you're allergic.
 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading! I'd love to know: How do you decide what to keep, toss, or donate? Share your strategy with us at wellnesswire@healthline.com.
 
 
 
 
 
Until next time,
healthline
Take care of yourself, and we'll see
you again soon!
 
 
Telegram
This edition was powered by
less clutter.
 
fb   tiktok   X   youtube   insta
View in browser

Did a friend send you this email? Subscribe here.
To see all newsletters, click here.

Privacy    |    Unsubscribe

Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Healthline does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Healthline encourages you to make any treatment decisions with your healthcare professional. Healthline is owned by RVO Health.

© 2024 Healthline Media LLC
275 7th Ave., 24th Floor
New York, NY 10001
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment