How to cope with stress eating

If food is your stress fix, you're not alone.
͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­
 
Healthline
 
 
Wellness Wire
 
 
In a Nutshell
I think it's fair to assume that we all know what "stress eating" entails. Whenever I'm stressed, I'll scrounge in my fridge or cabinets for corn tortilla chips, dinner leftovers, or even packaged shredded cheese. It doesn't take much to set me off, either. I could be anxious over my seemingly never-ending to-do list, or maybe I'm lingering over a hurtful comment I accidentally said to a friend.
Food is a comforting fix for emotional distress, but as you might suspect, it's not necessarily the healthiest coping mechanism. If you've been looking for support to cut back, today's newsletter could be a helpful place to start.
How to let go of emotional baggage
This is your brain on pumpkin spice
When you should get screened for lung cancer
Deep breaths, everyone.
Kenny Thapoung
Managing Newsletter Editor
 
 
  Written by Kenny Thapoung
September 13, 2024 • 3 min read
 
 
 
Why is stress eating so comforting?
what's got us buzzing
Why is stress eating so comforting?
From a physiological standpoint, stress causes your adrenal glands to release the hormone cortisol. When this happens, you may notice an increase in appetite (even though you're not actually hungry). This is your brain mentally preparing you to deal with a difficult situation.
However, the relief you might feel from emotional eating is only temporary. Unless you can identify your triggers and seek alternative solutions, this cycle will likely continue.
Trust me, I know that this is a daunting habit to kick. There's no switch you can turn off/on. Instead of trying to quit cold turkey, I've learned that a good approach is to take small steps toward healthier behaviors.
Here are three key ways to make a meaningful change:
  • Know your stressors: The next time a hard situation rears its ugly head, check in with yourself. Are you actually hungry or are you responding to something else? Make note of what's happening and what would make you "feel better."
  • Be mindful of the food you keep around: This goes for your kitchen and your office. When stressed, many people tend to gravitate toward sugary, heavily processed, fatty foods. Consider replacing them with more nutritious options that can satisfy you.
  • Find creative outlets to help manage your feelings: It might be worth engaging in another activity to relieve your nerves. Going for a walk, drinking water, or FaceTiming a friend are easy options that may help you feel grounded.
It would be great if we could avoid stress entirely. Imagine that! But we live in a complicated world filled with good and bad days. Full transparency: I still stress eat (and I don't think I'll ever be able to stop completely, which I've made peace with).
But eating is not the only way I deal with stress-inducing situations now. I walk outside so that I physically step away from my computer, I address tough conversations with friends quickly so that I don't dwell, and I don't keep tortilla chips in my apartment unless I'm definitely going to make nachos.️
You might find the tips I shared to be a solid start but need extra resources to curb your stress eating patterns even more. Reminder: There's no shame in asking for help! A doctor, mental health professional, or even a registered dietitian can guide you toward long-term solutions.️
LOWER YOUR CORTISOL LEVELS
 
 
 
Great finds
To infinity
 
 
 
Cube
Cube
Ever since I was a kid, I've resorted to biting my nails whenever I'm stressed, anxious, nervous, or just bored. It's been a lifelong struggle to find an effective alternative. My previous therapist actually recommended I look for a fidget toy. This infinity cube keeps my hands occupied so that I'm less tempted to chew on my fingertips. Plus, it's pretty discreet, so I can play with it off-screen during Zoom meetings.
SHOP NOW
Every product we recommend has gone through either Healthline's or Optum Store's vetting processes. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Healthline has sole editorial control over this newsletter. Potential uses for the products listed here are not health claims made by the manufacturers. Healthline and Optum Store are owned by RVO Health.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
health stories you need
What we're reading next
💙 Risk factors for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. This is the most common type of adult leukemia in the United States.
🔥 12 calorie-burning exercises that'll really get your heart racing. Get PUMPED!
How much blood is in the human body? Random, but I know you're curious.
⚖️ Your guide to eating a balanced diet. Planning ahead is crucial.
 
 
 
 
Morgan's away but will be back after her PTO. In the meantime, you're stuck with me for a bit. 😉 Thank you for reading!
 
 
 
 
 
Until next time,
healthline
Take care of yourself, and we'll see
you again soon!
 
 
Telegram
This edition was powered by
cold brew mixed
with a protein shake.
 
fb   tiktok   X   youtube   insta
View in browser

Did a friend send you this email? Subscribe here.
To see all newsletters, click here.

Privacy    |    Unsubscribe

Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Healthline does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Healthline encourages you to make any treatment decisions with your healthcare professional. Healthline is owned by RVO Health.

© 2024 RVO Health
1101 Red Ventures Drive
Fort Mill, SC 29707
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment